Wednesday 31 October 2007

The festival of witches and gobbildygook!

Well it is here again - the nightmare evening for some - loads and loads of fun for others - "All Hallows Eve" otherwise known as Halloween a brilliant celebration of pagans and witches when Celts believed that on the night before the new year ie, 1st November , the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred.
On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain (later called all hallows eve) , when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth! Druids as well as Christians have celebrated this festival for hundreds of years so I was stunned today to hear my local radio station have a phone in about wether to stop halloween or not as it is a American thing!! "It is blooming well not" I said allowed to the radio - I would have phoned in myself but was fuming with the dumb people of my beloved Yorkshire for thinking it is not something we as Englsih people need or want! I bloody well love halloween and my kids love it too even though they are 14 and 17!!
Maybe its when some people get silly with trick or treating that it puts people off! I dont know but hey if the kids love it and they are supervised then I dont see a problem do you??
Now i've had my rant I can now tell you I have not got any new pics to post sadly as I am waiting for my new docking station coming for my camera! I have been really busy making jewellery as it is the massive Crafts for Christmas at Harrogate next weekend and I am dead nervous that I wont have enough stuff for sale! I am sure that I will manage - I always do some how, but I still worry.
I have been to the docs this afternoon for my dreaded smear test - god dont you just hate those things its so undignified being prodded and poked - still better safe than sorry i suppose. I had my blood pressure done also and it was sky high ( not surprising really considering why I was there)!! So have to go back in a fortnight for it doing again.
OOh also before I forget I baked my very first traditional fruit cake today - my house smells georgous I can tell you. I am going to leave it a couple of days and keep feeding it Brandy then Im going to ice it!! If I do make a good job then I am going to bake my own wedding cake! Pics to follow - obviously if its a complete and utter feck up then I wont bother you with the photos LOL!!!
Photo below is my beautiful and absolutely mad as a hatter neice and god daughter Isabel! I am going to see her at my mums tonight for our halloween tea and am really looking forward to it!
speak later love Bev xx


5 comments:

Unknown said...

oh yummy fruit cake!!

and i love halloween too, it's so much fun, lol

Gemheaven said...

WE've just got back with a bucket full of sweets and my hair has more hairspray in it then a hairdressers lol

Lovely earrings my sweet!!

COLLS GARDEN said...

Oh Bev, I can smell that cake from here. I only make one a year, an Irish Christmas Cake (with Irish Whisky of course). It's divine.
Isn't it funny, I tried to explain to a neighbour of Shannon's yesterday evening that Halloween was actually English, she looked at me as if I was mad. Most people don't know that over here, they think it originated in America too. I think it's just good fun, as you say, if the kids are supervised. We had lots of kids (with parents) trick or treating at Shannon's house, all dressed up, such fun. I'll post a pic of Shannon on my blog later, she made a great witch, hee hee.
Love those earrings, blue is my favourite colour.
Hugs, Coll :-}

Mary said...

Show us the oic of the fruit cake. Did your house smell like Cgristmas when you baked it?

Catherine said...

Those blue earrings are gorgeous! The beads are really unusual.